Section Menu


Student Life FAQs

Tars Promise

How are students being held accountable for breaking the Tars Promise? 
The College reviews all reports received of Tars Promise violations and takes appropriate action if there is enough information to move forward. Students found responsible for the most egregious violations, which include hosting large gatherings or violating isolation or quarantine protocols, are issued the strongest sanctions. These sanctions could include residence hall dismissal, a requirement to shift from in-person to virtual learning, loss of campus access privileges, and suspension.

Is there a visitor policy in residence halls?
We allow Rollins students to visit each other while limiting non-Rollins visitors. 

What if a student does not feel safe living in the residence halls?
While we believe our protocols and safety precautions provide a cautious approach to support the wellbeing of our community, we are offering students the option to waive the requirement of living in the residence halls this fall; you may also choose to participate in classes virtually. Students who elect fully remote learning may be eligible for a grant. Once you complete the form, the Financial Aid Office will respond to you within three business days of your specific financial circumstances. 

  • Students who shift from residential to off-campus status are advised to speak with a Financial Aid advisor to determine the impact of this choice on their financial aid and college expenses. 
  • Students who wish to waive the residency requirement and participate virtually must submit a request. 
  • Students may elect to attend class in person but request to live off campus rather than in Rollins residence halls. For the fall semester, we will waive the residency requirement for those electing this option. 

Are residential students guaranteed or required to take an in-person class?
In-person classes are not guaranteed if you are living on campus due to faculty choosing to teach virtually (only). However, residential students are not required to take an in-person class and may choose all virtual classes. 

What about community bathrooms? Are they safe?
Our dedicated Facilities Services team is practicing enhanced cleaning and sanitation procedures throughout campus. Housekeeping will be cleaning and disinfecting the communal restrooms multiple times daily, with an EPA registered disinfectant. Additionally, we will encourage physical distancing all the time and mask-wearing when possible. 

If the College is required to go fully virtual during the semester, would Rollins offer housing for students who are unable to return home?
We will likely enact a similar plan as we did last year. We know there are sometimes unique situations that do not allow students to leave campus. 

Lakeside Neighborhood Residents 

What type of construction, disruption and noise can I expect throughout the semester? 
As we work to complete the Lakeside Neighborhood, we will continue to work on the common spaces, courtyard, walkways and greenery. Construction will occur 7 a.m. – 7 p.m., seven days a week. 

Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) 

What about Fraternity & Sorority Life organizations? 
There will not be traditional organizational housing for the 2020-21 academic year, but we are committed to continuing to facilitate student organization meetings virtually or in spaces that enable physical distancing. Student groups should check with their staff/faculty advisor for further guidance and available spaces. 

Are only Fraternity & Sorority Life (FSL) students permitted to live in FSL housing? 
Only FSL students (for now) will be permitted to live in the FSL spaces. 

What will happen to chapter composites, and other items in the ROs?  
The Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life (OFSL) will work with each organization to identify storage solutions for chapter items. 

Will this FSL housing change be permanent?  
No, as soon as the College can resume our previous residential structure, we will return to the individual organizational RO model. 

When was information about a 3-year live-on requirement shared? 
Housing agreements signed for both the 2019-2020 academic year and the 2020-21 academic year begin with the following: 

“Starting with the entering Rollins Fall 2019 class, Rollins College will have a 3-year  live-on housing requirement. Any students previously enrolled prior to Fall 2019 will be  grandfathered into the previous 2-year live-on requirement.” 

In addition, our 3-year live on policy and exemption info is on the RLE website and in the housing selection booklets to that go out every spring. Please see spring 2020  info here and Fall 2021 info here. 

Why is Rollins restoring its housing and meal plan policies? 
When we de-densified campus last year in response to COVID, we communicated that housing and meal plan policies were suspended only temporarily. We communicated at the time that these policies would be reinstated; they were never intended to extend indefinitely. 

When were new meal plan offerings announced? 
Meal plan information was announced with the Returning Student Housing Selection information for Fall 2021 in early March. More information about meal plans can be found here. 

I thought I didn’t have to have a meal plan? 
As part of our de-densification of campus last fall, students living in Lakeside or Sutton were not required to have a meal plan last fall. This exemption was temporary. More information about meal plans and requirements can be found here. Commuter students are not required to have meal plan, but are encouraged to select one.  

Virtual learning is working for me. Do I have the option of not returning to campus in the fall? 
We are glad you’ve had a good experience with virtual learning this past year, however, we are currently planning to return to fully in-person learning this fall. It is possible to arrange for a leave of absence if that is the best option for you. For more information, please contact For international students with visa or travel restriction concerns, please contact 

How is Rollins supporting the health (mental and physical) of our students?
The Wellness Center offers physical health appointments and mental health counseling that is confidential and free. We are also developing additional programming to continue to safeguard the mental health of students. 

What are the College’s care/accommodation options for students? 
If your student needs assistance with arranging accommodations, please connect with the Office of Accessibility Services at We understand that this is a rapidly evolving situation and want to support your student’s continued well-being and success. 

What if a student becomes ill and cannot attend classes? 
Any student who becomes ill for any reason, is quarantined due to exposure, is awaiting test results, or tests positive for COVID-19 during the year may attend virtually through these time periods. Students in these situations should immediately provide the COVID-19 Student Support Team ( with medical documentation and refrain from attending class in person. The COVID-19 Student Support Team will notify the students’ faculty members. Our class attendance policy was being modified to encourage students who are ill to not come to class. 

How can I work with my classmates virtually? 
You can set up your own personal Webex room which will allow you to work with other students, or simply chat and catch up virtually. Here’s how to get your own room launched: 

  • Log into Webex on your laptop. If you are using a tablet or mobile device, access Webex via the mobile app. 
  • Locate the URL for your personal meeting room, which is located above the “Start Meeting” button. This is the link you will share with others to access the meeting. 
  • In addition to attending classes, what else can students expect to use Webex for? 
    Webex will work for office hours, library consults, and many other interactions with campus offices. 

In the event of a major outbreak are there specific measures in place to adopt online learning campus-wide? 
Should we need to shift to all online learning, we are confident that we could do this quickly and well. We were quite successful making that shift in March 2020 and we have had so much professional development and deployment of new tools since then that it should go well. 

Course Modality 

Is there a difference in the content taught online vs. in person? 
All students have access to the same courses. Those that participate as virtual students will simply join the course remotely. Our faculty are fully prepared to integrate virtual learners into the classroom. 

How do I find out whether the courses I registered for will be in person or online? 
Check our course schedule website in the “Mode” column. Students should check their Rollins email from their faculty, too. 

Can faculty switch to a virtual mode of teaching after they have communicated their plans to teach in person or hybrid? Are they committed to an in-person experience (unless Rollins needs to go all virtual)? 
We do not anticipate changes in our faculty teaching plans at this point. They are working hard to prepare for the fall semester. Exceptions to this will be minimal, but could include, for example, a faculty member becoming ill or needing to quarantine or having a family member become ill. We want to be sure to protect our students. 

What do MX, FF, and V represent under the “mode” column of the course schedule? 
MX is mixed-mode; FF is face-to-face, and V is virtual. You’ll find much greater detail in your professors’ communications.  

What plans are being made for student organizations and their events? 
Student organizations can gather and plan events in accordance with CDC guidelines. All events will follow the standard Get Involved Risk Assessment as has been the practice in the past. 

Where will FSL students host chapter meetings and events?  
Organizations will be able to reserve spaces on campus for chapter meetings and events in accordance with current event registration policies and procedures. 

How long will the FSL-specific hold be for?  
We will be pausing FSL-specific in-person events until Monday, March 1. All other events, as well as classes and dining, will continue, unaffected by the athletic and FSL pauses.

International Students

As an international student, who is my point of contact? 
International students with travel questions can contact the Jenifer Ruby and Megan Kohr in the Office of International Student & Scholar Services at or 407-691-1158. More information is available here. 

What advice is there for international students who are traveling from countries with travel restrictions? 
Please review both travel and immigration-related information for international students available here.

What are the recommendations for international students? 
Due to various travel restrictions and the suspension of U.S. embassy visa services or wellbeing concerns, students outside the U.S. should consult with the Office of International Student and Scholar Services (Jenifer Ruby, to determine if virtual learning is recommended or desired. Students can also obtain advice on the process for maintaining or regaining their immigration status. If students choose to take fully remote classes, the Office of International Student and Scholar Services will work with the student and will notify the students’ faculty members.

Will international students be permitted to stay on campus if classes become fully virtual? 
We hope to accommodate those who cannot travel home, or have extenuating circumstances.

Study Abroad

Has the College suspended travel to certain locations, or canceled any study abroad programs?

The College has canceled the following: 

  • Canceled all spring 2021 Rollins Approved Semester Programs outside the U.S

  • Canceled all 2021 field studies, summer programs, and Crummer international travel courses through August 15, 2021

  • Fall 2021 semester programs have been approved to continue as planned, although not all programs are running. Students have been provided with a detailed risk assessment and are being strongly encouraged to get fully vaccinated prior to travel.

  • Fall 2021 short-term international travel courses are still pending: a decision will be made later in the summer.

What if I am in a major that requires a global or field experience?
Students in majors with required global or field experiences who are scheduled to graduate in May 2021 can opt to complete department-defined alternatives to the global or field experience. International Business and Business Management majors can fulfill the requirement by taking INT295 Global Citizenship: No Passport Required: a 1-credit course that is being offered during the spring semester and in Maymester.

What factors is the College considering when making decisions about international travel?
U.S. State Department and CDC travel notices; vaccination rates and percentage of population that is vaccinated; viral spread in-country; border restrictions for entry into host countries; the presence of mandated quarantines, lockdowns and other restrictions; testing requirements with strict timeframes; restrictions on entry back into the U.S.; potential risks to the College community and our host communities and partners abroad; and the high-level of continued uncertainty surrounding the virus and the state of international travel.

Will student-athletes continue to receive their financial aid?
Yes. Aid packages are not impacted by the NCAA or conference decisions. For questions contact the Office of Financial Aid (

Why are fans not allowed to attend athletic events? 
The entire Sunshine State Conference, of which we are a part, has a no-fans policy. We are honoring our commitment to that policy. 

Does the 5% positivity rate rule apply to all schools in the Sunshine State Conference (SSC)? 
That metric was established with our peers in the SSC and is required that it is demonstrated prior to competition. Each Sunshine State Conference institution has established its own metric for competition; however, they have agreed to only compete against Rollins when their positivity rates are both below 5 percent. 

How are student-athletes tested? 
Teams are tested based on the risk association of their sport, as identified by the NCAA Sports Sciences Institute. Rollins’ testing rates are based on guidance from the NCAA relative to the COVID risk for the sport; some are tested every other week, some are tested three times a week, some are only tested when they travel.  
Weekly surveillance testing began March 1 and will continue for all teams practicing and competing. 

Are all athletic team members and coaches required to be tested prior to competition? 
No. We are not testing everyone prior to competition. Instead, we are testing prior to travel for each away competition. 

Will student-athletes be given another year of athletic eligibility if there is a cancellation? 
If we cannot compete this season, the NCAA will provide relief through a waiver process. 

How many COVID-19 tests are student-athletes taking per week? 
Currently, athletics requests between 150-260 tests per week, depending on the athletics schedule.

As a Crummer student, who do I contact for questions or concerns?
Contact the Crummer Student Success office at 407-646-2210.

As a Holt student, who do I contact for questions or concerns?
Please contact Dean Rob Sanders at or 407-646-1349.